It is possible to make cutout cookies any time of the year, to mark any occasion. There are zillions of cutters in every possible shape and size. Let your imagination run wild and let the kids help decorate!
Yields about 6 dozen cookies depending on cutter size
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups Oleo or 4 sticks of butter (450 g)
- 2 cups (400 g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) baking soda
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) cream of tartar
- pinch of salt
- 8 cups (1 Kg) all-purpose flour
- 4 cups (500 g) powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons (18 g) butter or Crisco
- 4 Tablespoons (60 mL) milk
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) vanilla extract
- Food coloring, sprinkles, icing gel etc.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
For the cookies: cream together sugar, eggs and butter. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Roll dough on a floured surface to about 1/4" thick. Cut out shapes and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for approximately 8 minutes.
For the frosting: mix sugar, butter and vanilla well. Add milk until desired thickness is achieved. Add food coloring. Decorate away!