My six year old loves this stuff!! This dish has some kick to it, so you could cut back on the cayenne if you wanted. Turkey and, probably, smoked sausage, can easily be substituted. I don't have bottled garlic here, so I just mince two garlic cloves and throw those in instead. If you can't be in the Bayou, this is close enough, and without all the unhealthy junk from the boxed stuff! Good stuff!
- 1 Tablespoon (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups (360 mL) chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic or a couple of garlic cloves pressed
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup (185 g) uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 cups (480 mL) fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce/411 g) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups (250 g) shredded cooked chicken or turkey
- 6 ounces (170 g) chorizo or andouille sausage, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) sliced green onions
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5-6 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in bell peppers and next 5 ingredients (bell peppers through black pepper); sauté 1 minute.
Add rice; sauté 1 minute. Stir in broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
Add chicken or turkey and sausage; cover and cook 5 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions.