Sloppy joes are a fast and easy weeknight dinner, very kid friendly, and this recipe does not disappoint! I will admit, I used that "canned sauce" when I was in the States. Sure, I would dress it up with some onion or bell peppers, but it is loaded with salt and other stuff. This recipe is just as good, and without the junk. It's awesome on the Sloppy Joe Pizza!
Yields 6 sandwiches
- 1 pound (450 g) ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less depending on taste)
- 1 cup (240 mL) ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons (30 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon (15 mL) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) water
- 6 hamburger buns
Brown ground beef in a skillet with a tablespoon of olive oil. Add onion, garlic and spices and cook for 1 minute. Stir in ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar and water and simmer until thick, about 15 minutes. Serve on hamburger buns.